Special Services Unit
Criminal Investigation Division
The Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division is composed of both general and narcotics investigators. CID is primarily responsible for the investigation of all felony related crimes and certain misdemeanors, upon request of the Sheriff or, a designee thereof. CID Investigators are on call 24 hours a day, and are able to respond to any emergency that requires investigative assistance or support.
General Investigations primarily investigates all felony related crimes – and lessor crimes upon the direction of the Sheriff.
- Respond to all major crime scenes
- Create case files from assigned cases
- Conduct death investigations
- Conduct/Investigate any/all persons crimes
- Conduct/Investigate any/all property crimes
- Conduct missing persons investigations
- Coordinate cases designated for prosecution with the District Attorney and Attorney General’s Office
- Assist/ Coordinate with other Local, State and Federal investigative agencies/units
- Conduct sensitive or special interest investigations at the direction of the Sheriff
The narcotics investigators handle all drug related crimes. These investigators generate cases through confidential contacts, but also work cases that originate from other divisions within the department. Works as a part of the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Region E Drug Task Force.
- Conduct undercover drug investigations/eradication
- Conduct undercover surveillance
- Conduct undercover buys
- Conduct drug search warrants
- Coordinate cases designated for prosecution with the District Attorney’s Office and the D.E.A.
- Assist/Coordinate with other Local, State and Federal narcotics agencies/units
School Resource Officer Unit
Judicial Protection is responsible for security of judges, judicial staff, court employees and the general public visiting the courthouse, probate offices, revenue commissioner, and juvenile court. This is accomplished by the presence of deputies, judicial protection officers, and a screening process at the entrance of courthouse buildings.
To assist in the security screening process please arrive fifteen to thirty minutes prior to any court proceeding or appearance you have been ordered or wish to attend. Cell phones and other electronic devices including laptop computers and smartwatches are prohibited. Please leave these items at home or secured in your vehicle. No weapons are allowed inside the judicial building.